Monday, September 22, 2008

From Heike Henderson

Okay, first I feel like I owe an apology, I have definitely done more reading (and thinking!) than writing… maybe because I have been a little bit intimidated, since I am not a food geographer myself. And I also miss the ‘real’ food that can accompany ‘real’ conversations…
Having said that, I have been impressed with the way this writing experiment has created new spaces for imagination and conversation, so yes, despite my limited participation, it definitely has been an interesting experience for me, and an idea that I do intend to take to other venues and topics.
About the question of how to bring it all together: I like the idea of the fragments and snippets. To me that sounds more in line with the different voices in this blog; it does provide the opportunity to incorporate a wide variety of viewpoints and ideas without trying to force them into one big master narrative. With fragments, you can jump from one part to another, there is less of a hierarchical order, and they usual do form (sometimes unexpected) connections. And there is also less of a risk of cannibalizing the vital parts of everybody’s thoughts and research. (Recently, my own research has led me from food studies, or rather the representation of food in literature, to the not always tasty and unsettling topic of cannibalism...)
But enough midnight ramblings, I just wanted to make sure I post something before the “time is up,” so thanks again for the stimulating contributions, and I would love to meet some of you in real life with real food… So any of you who makes it to Boise (Idaho, US), send me a note and I will cook for you!

No comments: