Sunday, September 7, 2008

Collaborative writing

How can we turn a lively, bitty and extremely long blog discussion into a 7,000 word collaboratively-written 'review' paper?

I've been involved in this kind of thing in different ways for a few years now, and was asked recently to give a talk about this (it's not quite finished, but see). This blog is discussed in one section (see and let me know what you think by submitting a comment, if you like).

So, in the comments box below, I'd be interested in your thoughts about how 'we' should write together and what the mechanics of this process might be (with me doing the donkey work).

As far as I'm concerned, this blog/paper has given a 'right to reply' (that was the point from the start), will publish student work (we're not all faculty), has been a conversation (a blog-type one), could be 'mashed up' (if the coding points in that direction, although I'm not sure this is necessary or appropriate given the conversational spirit of the blog), couldn't be done word by word (unless anyone really wants to start this!), and is definitely a form of social sculpture (which isn't really explained but would be neat, given that the following review starts with a social scupture).

Whatever happens, this paper will be a new form of collaborative authorship for me and, I'm guessing, everyone else. Please pass on any relevant experience in this light!

No comments: