Monday, September 1, 2008

No catchy title, just a last minute post...

As the very last moments to post tick away at my left, I have just a few humble words to add to the wonderful thoughts already shared. The comments regarding the viscerality of food and “following” are of interest to me as I’ve been contemplating a new project along the Santa Ana River Bike Trail in Southern California, the homeless population who live there, native edible plants, and arts events where I work as an artist and curator in Downtown Riverside, California.

How bodies feel food, as mentioned by Allison and Jessica Hayes-Conroy, among others, make me question the practices of the downtrodden who visit our museum and gallery during art opening receptions. When they come there are a few who line their pockets with cubes of cheese and other buffet fare. Why would someone who gets free food from community services want squares of cheddar? There are two reasons, according to my husband who is a social worker. First is the thrill of taking something that is not yours, or in this case taking more than is socially acceptable. The other is variety. I ponder the luxury of food diversity. It’s something I rarely think about because I have the means to eat pretty much what I please. With the homeless occupying the role of other at these events, can it also be that consuming foods offered at a swanky art opening create a type of interior transformation?

Considering what appear to be elite food fashions (pricey organic foods, other expensive fresh foods from farmer’s markets and Whole Foods Market), I am interested in giving those who live in the riverbed a source of fresh, readily available, novel food that would take the place of art reception refreshments. Native edibles are very trendy at the moment here. California has a variety of native edibles that will grow along the Santa Ana River Trail, close to where the homeless sleep. The gardens I propose will be tended by the cyclists who ride along the trail, with the help of nearby residents. The food following would be a relatively short trip, but interesting to watch as the stories develop in the form of really slow food in a rather tiny geographic region. [for more on the project, see the blog]

I apologize for the sketchy post and nonacademic nature of it. It’s more of a proposition than anything else. I have truly enjoyed reading all of your posts and look forward to reading all of the rich texts cited in the weeks to come.

Lisa Tucker

No comments: